As of January 1, 2012 the standard hourly rates for Kokua Technologies were set at $125 per hour. As of May 2012, we changed our billing practices from quarter hour increments to tenths of an hour with no minimum. For our existing clients, we still charge at your old hourly rate. Starting in January of 2013, all clients will be billed at our new rate.
Yes, the new way is a higher hourly rate, a rate that matches the top level Tech Kahunas that we have. You may be wondering how you can afford this cost increase, so we wanted to share a bit of the math with you.
- The Old Way: You ask for our help, we drive there in 20 minutes (rounded to .5 hours), and it takes 35 minutes to fix the problem (rounded to .75 hours). 1.25 hours @ $115/hour = $143.75
- The New Way: You ask for our help, we drive there in 20 minutes (rounded to .4 hours), and it takes 35 minutes to fix the problem (rounded to .6 hours). 1 hour @ $125 = $125
- The Really Cool New Way: You ask for help, we use Drumbeat to remote into your machine and it takes 35 minutes to fix the problem. 0.6 hours @ $125/hour = $75
Let’s say that we need to run a virus scanner on your machine. When we go to your office, we bill for the time that our Tech Kahunas are there. So while they wait for the scan to run, they will ask if there are other things they can do while they are on location.
When we do the work remotely or at Kokua Labs (our office), we use what is called “Hands-Off Time.” That means that if we start the virus scan, we pause the clock until the scan is done.
- The Old Way: You ask for our help, we drive there in 20 minutes (rounded to .5 hours), and it takes 2 hours to run the scan and fix the problem. 30 minutes of travel to your office, plus the 2 hours for the onsite visit. 2.5 @ $115 = $287.50
- The New Way: You ask for our help, we remote into the machine, diagnose the problem and start the scan (10 minutes), the scan runs for 90 minutes, and then we do 15 minutes of additional work to fix the problem. 25 minutes of work (.5) and 90 minutes of “Hands-Off Time.” .5 @ $125 = $62.50
Seriously, this is a great deal for you. And it works for us because while we are “Hands-Off” with you, our Tech Kahunas can switch to help another client without having to drive there. We can fill the days for our Tech Kahunas, be more responsive to more clients, and lower your cost.
Our goal is to find new ways to be fair. We want to flourish as a company, and fairness is part of our manifesto.
Thank you for allowing us to be the technology help for your business.